e-commerce: commercial transactions conducted electronically on the Internet.
Here are some facts you need to know about the internet:
- There are over 3 billion internet users globally.
- South Africa's internet usage has grown by 14% in the last year alone.
- There are over 24 million internet users in South Africa alone.
- The total population of South Africa is just over 53 million which means that 45% of the South African public is on the internet.
According to the South African E-Commerce report 2014, the following statistics were uncovered with a focus group of 10000 people:
- 9.23% of online shoppers earn over R70,000 per month.
- 45.62% of shoppers have a University undergraduate degree or above.
- 4.02% purchase something online weekly and 16.31% purchase online at least once a month.
- 73.76% of online shoppers use the internet to make payments, transfer money and ay bills. 49% of those users are doing so at least once per week.
- 38.51% of shoppers use their mobile phone for online banking and 23.17% use their mobile phone for online purchases.
- 38.31% are willing to wait between 1 and 4 days for delivery of their purchases and 38.03% wait between 5 to 10 working days.
- 26.74% of internet users spend in the range of R 201 to R 500 per month in online shopping. Another 21.6% spend in the range of R 501 and R1000 whilst about 9.11% spend more than R 2,000 per month on online shopping.
- 66.68% of users use credit card for payments.
- 32.78% of internet users are members of daily deal sites.
This information was taken from Effective Measure and can be viewed here